Submission Guidelines for Text
We accept files on disk or CD, in MS WORD or WORDPERFECT. If manuscript is not submitted in complete and final form, additional fees will be charged. Any variation from these guidelines may cause a delay.
- Please submit entire book in one file, including all chapters.
- Please use 12-point, Times New Roman font in your manuscript.
- Please include text styles in your manuscript: bold, italic, bold italic, underscore.
- Please include a title page as your first page of the manuscript, with complete title, subtitle, and author name exactly as you wish it to appear.
- Please be sure to label each chapter and/or section clearly in your file.
- Indicate on the copyright page any credits to reference material (like which version(s) of the Bible you use in quotations) by inserting this paragraph on the copyright page: Unless otherwise indicated, Bible quotations are taken from ___________ (version[s]) of the Bible. Copyright (c) _____ (year) by ___________ (publisher).
- Do not use footnotes. If you need to cite your work, use in-text citations or endnotes and do not use Word's automatic endnote function to create them. Instead type in both the endnote reference number and the endnote reference manually.
- Do not use Wingdings or characters unavailable within the normal character set. Use standard bullets only.
- Do not type your name, page numbers or title of book on every page.
- Do not use the space bar or tab key to align or indent your text. Any indent you want in your text should be done with the margin controller.
- Do not use columns in your work.
- Do not use the space bar to create a new paragraph. When you wish to begin a new paragraph, just hit the Enter/ Return key and begin your new paragraph.
- Do not use the Enter/ Return key at the end of each line (as you would on a typewriter). Let the text automatically flow from one line to the other. Only use the Enter/ Return key at the end of each paragraph.
- Do not manually insert hyphens to indicate where a word should break at the ends of lines.
- To create long dashes (em dashes), use two hyphens.
- Indexes are to be completed by the author from the final manuscript.
- Type in the table of contents, indexes, appendixes, etc. manually rather than using the automatic functions in Word.
If you have any questions, please contact Advantage Books.
Submission Guidelines for Graphics
Photographs, Illustrations, Tables, Charts, and Drawings all are graphics. If you have graphics in your book, we have specifications which you will need to follow. If these guidelines are not followed, considerable delays may result. You may even have to resubmit your manuscript. Manuscripts with graphics usually take an additional 2 to 3 weeks to format, longer if we are scanning images.
- All interior graphics must be black and white. We cannot accept any color photographs. We do not print anything in color inside our books.
- We cannot reduce graphics (i.e. charts). Graphics should be no bigger than the page of your printed book (contact Advantage Press for the exact page size). Don't use a point size on graphics smaller than 11 point.
- You may send the actual images to be scanned, or you may scan the images and send them to us in a digital format (on a diskette or CD-ROM).
- If you scan your own images, they should be scanned at 100%, 300 dpi, then saved as a TIFF or JPEG (please save as JPEG if e-mailing). If you provide images at a resolution lower than 300 dpi, they will not print well in your book.
- Do not place or imbed your graphics in the text of your manuscript. Graphics should be sent in files separate from the manuscript.
- Graphics files should be named according to the order they will appear in your manuscript, not named by content. For example, if Graphic #1 in your book is a "Picture of Bob" the file should be named "Graphic #1, not "Picture of Bob" In your manuscript, indicate where a graphic is to appear in the text with a bracketed, bolded note. For example, **[GRAPHIC #1]**. Please number graphics in sequential order, according to the same bracketed, bolded, placement notations you indicated in your manuscript.
- Remember to include $15.00 or $25.00 with your submission payment for each graphic element you want included in your manuscript. $25.00 per graphic for properly sized graphics we need to scan, $15.00 for graphics that come to us on disk or CD, in acceptable form. (Charges are subject to change without notification.)
Our customer satisfaction is very high, but you should be aware that we cannot guarantee that your images will appear as you might expect--particularly photographic images. If you are providing photographs that are older, blurry, fuzzy, too dark or light, then please note that when they are printed in your book, they may not always reproduce well. There may also be some variance between print runs. If you have questions about this, please don't hesitate to ask.